Some really silly guys did a series of videos called “Neature Walk” because they wanted to share how neat is nature! In episode one Vic sees a tree that he really likes and says, “Score! This is an aspen tree. You can that it’s an aspen tree because of the way it is.” This is either circular reasoning or an obvious statement. “Just look at this thing. You can tell it’s this thing because it looks and acts like this thing.”
I feel a lot like this when I look at the first part of our third foundational truth statement: “We believe in the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ.” (As a side note, I covered the second part of this statement—“As God’s Son, Jesus was both human and divine”—in another post, which you may find here.)
Check this out: the definition for Deity is the divine character of God, and the definition for divine means things relating to the Deity. In saying we believe Jesus is God we are really saying, “You can tell that Jesus is God because of the way He is.”
In order to make this definition work, we need evidence for both the divinity and the deity of Jesus. That being said, let me remind you of J. Warner Wallace’s instruction on faith. There is:
- Blind faith—believing in something without evidence
- Unreasonable faith—believing in something in spite of the evidence
- Reasonable faith—believing in something because of the evidence
Here is some evidence that I think makes it reasonable to believe that Jesus is divine:
- Virgin birth—Isaiah 7:14; Luke 1:34-35; Matthew 1:22-23
- Sinless life—Isaiah 53:4-6, 9; Hebrews 7:26-27; 1 Peter 2:22
- Miracles—Acts 10:38; 2:22-24
- Death, resurrection, exaltation—Isaiah 53:10-12; Philippians 2:6-8; Hebrews 1:3
I think the best evidence for the Deity of Jesus is the connection He Himself made between the “Jehovah” titles of the First Testament and His “I AM” statements in the Second Testament:
- Jehovah Jireh (I Am Your Provider) → I am the Bread of Life (John 6:35)
- Jehovah Rapha (I Am Your Healing) → I am the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25-26)
- Jehovah Nissi (I Am Your Source) → I am the Vine (John 15:5)
- Jehovah Shalom (I Am Your Peace) → I am the Light of the world (John 8:12)
- Jehovah Raah (I Am Your Shepherd) → I am the Good Shepherd (John 10:11)
- Jehovah Sabaoth (I Am Your Wall Of Protection) → I am the Gate (John 10:9)
- Jehovah Tsid-kenu (I Am Your Righteousness) → I am the Way, Truth, and Life (John 14:6)
- Jehovah Shammah (I Am Here) → I am the Alpha and Omega (Revelation 1:8; 22:13).
The Jewish leadership understood perfectly what Jesus was claiming! But the more pertinent question is this: Do we understand what we must do with this evidence?
We cannot claim that Jesus was born of a virgin, or lived a sinless life, or did miracles, or died and rose again and then not believe He is God. We cannot pick and choose the parts of Jesus we want.
The apostle Paul reminded us that someday “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:11-12).
Every knee will bow to Him one day: Either in worship of Jesus their Savior, or in abject terror of Jesus their Judge.
I pray that you believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior today… don’t wait another moment!
If you’ve missed any of the other messages in our Foundational Stones series, which is exploring our foundational beliefs, you may access all of them by clicking here.