Then Ezra read from the Book of the Law in the open square… (Nehemiah 8).
- “The ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law”
- There was a respect for the Word of God and the God of the Word—“When he opened it all the people stood up…[then] they bowed their heads and worship the Lord with their faces to the ground”
- The religious leaders “helped the people to understand the Law”
- “So they read distinctly from the book, in the Law of God; and they gave the sense, and helped them understand the reading”
The result—“And all the people went their way to eat and drink, to send portions [to those in need] and rejoice greatly, because they understood the words that were declared to them.”
A mark of a godly leader is one who helps people make sense of God’s Word.
And when the people understand the Word, they are more likely to joyfully put it into practice.
This is part 10 in my series on godly leadership. You can check out the previous posts here:
- Godly Leaders Raise Up Godly Leaders
- Godly Leaders Must Do Hard Things
- A Godly Leader’s “We”
- Godly Leaders Prayerfully Plan
- Godly Leaders Can Inspire Everyone To Pursue One Vision
- A Leader’s Most Powerful Resource
- Tuning Out Enemies
- A Leader’s Grace And Power
- The Power That Comes After Delegation