In the 8-verse section called Pe, the psalmist says, “I can’t think of any better response to Your Word than to obey it!” In Pe, here are ten blessings that come with that obedience—
- Light … this is the discernment that allows for the “Aha!” revelations of the Holy Spirit.
- Understanding … the blessing of comprehending what God is saying to us.
- Longings fulfilled … nothing but God’s Word will ever satisfy like God’s Word!
- More clearly seeing God’s face as He shines upon us.
- God’s mercy and favor.
- A greater understanding of God’s love.
- Secure paths that keep us from sin’s snares.
- Freedom from satan’s extortions … this is literally what the phrase redeem me from the oppression means in verse 134.
- Greater obedience.
- Learning God’s Word so that I can teach it to others.
The psalmist also gives us good insight into how to respond to those who reject God’s Word: “Rivers of tears gush from my eyes because people disobey Your instructions” (v. 136). With all the blessings that come from obeying God’s wonderful law, why would you ever want to try to live any other way?!