The enemies of God’s people always use the same tactics.
(1) Sending an intimidating force that seems overwhelming and invincible.
King Sennacherib didn’t send a small detachment of soldiers, but he sent “a large army” to try to intimidate the people of Judah.
(2) Asking doubt-inducing questions.
The field commander asked questions like…
- On what are you basing this confidence of yours?
- On whom are you depending?
- Do you think Jehovah can save you from this?
(3) Fomenting distrust in God’s wisdom and ability.
Once the seeds of doubt had been sown, the field commander attempted to water those seeds by making accusations like…
- Do not let Hezekiah deceive you: God can’t help you with this one!
- The gods of other nations didn’t help them, so what makes you think your God will help you?
(4) Offering a compromise.
Then came the offer to give in…
- Come now, make a bargain with my master and I’ll give you more riches than you can imagine!
- Make peace with me while you have the chance, and I promise you will have a trouble-free life!
All of these tactics attempted to play on the fears of people who felt surrounded and overwhelmed.
But I love to remember that the acrostic of the word F.E.A.R. is False Evidence Appearing Real. The field commander in King Hezekiah’s time, and satan today, use the tactics of fear to try to get us to compromise.
King Hezekiah gave us a great example to follow. When he received the field commander’s letter with all of the threats listed, he “spread it out before the Lord” (Isaiah 37:14)! Isaiah reminded the people not to be afraid of the threats of the enemy, because those threats were actually blasphemy against God. And then God tells Hezekiah quite simply, “I will take care of this!”
And God did indeed take care of it.
Without the armies of Judah ever having to lift a sword or a spear or shield, God broke the power of the enemy and sent them away in shame!
When the enemy seems to be surrounding you today, he will use these same tactics. He will try to overwhelm you, get you to doubt what God has said, try to induce you to distrust God, and then offer you a compromise. All the devil has on his side is false evidence that he attempts to make look real.
So do what King Hezekiah did: Spread out those threats before God. Go to His Word and read again what He has already promised you. Then stand firm in faith. God will take care of your adversary!
Let me repeat it one more time: Don’t give into fear, but stand firm in your faith in God!
►► Would you please prayerfully consider supporting this ministry? My Patreon supporters get behind-the-scenes access to exclusive materials. ◀︎◀︎