- John Adams, one of our nation’s founding fathers said, “The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity.”
- Every president from George Washington to Barak Obama has invoked the name of God in his inaugural address.
- 96% of Americans say they believe in God.
- 80% of Americans call themselves Christians.
- Our grade schools make no mention of “God”, some even to the point of not reciting the pledge of allegiance.
- Higher education is openly antagonistic toward God and Christians.
- The entertainment industry normalizes lifestyles that are openly unbiblical.
- Even our US government has done things like legalizing murder in the form of abortion, and sanctioning homosexuality by calling their unions “marriage.”
The Bible calls Christians “aliens and strangers in the world.” Perhaps the term “aliens” is not so much for what we say we believe, but how we live what we believe.
So Peter opens his letter to “strangers in the world” by telling Christians how to live in a way that can reconnect this disconnection.
- Humble—because we sinners have been chosen (v. 2a) to become citizens of Heaven.
- Confident—because of the foreknowledge of God the Father (v. 2b) that can never be thwarted.
- Teachable—because the process of the sanctifying work of the Spirit and obedience to Jesus Christ (v. 2c) requires us to be humbly-confident, teachable servants.
- Graceful and peaceful (v. 2d)—because what we believe about God’s invitation to come to Him, Christ’s payment that makes that possible, and the Holy Spirit’s sanctification should be lived out in graceful and peaceful lives.
Would your Earthling family members say you are graceful and peaceful?
Would your Earthling coworkers say you promote grace and peace on the job?
Would your Earthling neighbors say you make the neighborhood graceful and peaceful?
Would the Earthling business owners you frequent say your gracefulness and peacefulness is more evident than in the citizens of Earth?
Search me, God, and know my heart test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is ANY offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24).
We will be continuing our Aliens and Strangers series this Sunday. If you are in the Cedar Springs area, and don’t have a home church, please join us. If you cannot join us in person, you can tune in via Periscope (search for @craigtowens).