Why would that be?
Christians can expect to experience this more frequently. Jesus told His followers to be prepared for persecution from those who didn’t believe in Him. One of Christ’s disciples named Peter added a few other warnings for Christians:
- Non-Christians will accuse you of doing wrong even when you’re doing right
- Non-Christians will think it’s weird that you don’t do the same evil deeds they do
- Non-Christians will heap abuse on you for not doing the evil deeds they do (1 Peter 2:12; 4:4)
This is because living good, Christ-honoring lives causes a burning in those hearts that don’t know Jesus yet.
Solomon said there’s an aching void in the heart of every human being. It’s a longing to know what makes sense in life (see Ecclesiastes 3:11). When Christians live their lives focused on God, and they live—as Peter said—“such good lives,” it reminds non-Christians of what they’re missing.
Christian, you need to remember why we live this way. The belief that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God (Matthew 16:18) is the foundation for our lives. In fact, Peter called Jesus the Living Stone. As His followers, we are also called “living stones” that the Holy Spirit is building together to make a spiritual signpost to point others to Jesus (see 1 Peter 2:4-5, 9, 12).
We cannot do this under our own power. Jesus Himself reminded us that we need the Scriptures which all point to Him (Luke 24:27, 44-45), and the Holy Spirit which will help us apply the revealed Scriptures (John 14:26) and live “such good lives.”
So here’s how I’m challenging myself this week, and I’d like to extend this challenge to you too. For the next seven days, just before going to bed I’ll be asking myself these three questions:
- Did I read the Word of God today?
- Did I see the God of the Word in the Word of God a little more clearly today?
- Did I live a good, Christ-honoring life today that pointed others to Jesus?
Join me this Sunday as we continue our look at how Christians should live as aliens and strangers. If you’ve missed any messages in this series, you may find the complete list by clicking here.