Jesus told His followers that their ministry assignment was to take His message of salvation throughout the entire world. One requirement to do this, is to be able to communicate with lots of people. Actually to be able to communicate with everyone.
Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. (Romans 12:17-18)
Really? Everybody and everyone?!
Jesus said our Helper would be the Holy Spirit. He would come to empower us to be witnesses to everyone, everybody, everywhere (Acts 1:8).
We have been learning how to communicate with others better, but noticing their communication style “accent.” Check out this post to get some more insight into this. In a nutshell…
- Doers are action-oriented
- Planners like to work out all the details
- People want to make sure everyone is connected
- Visions are imagining a better future
So if you are a Doer, and you’re trying to share the Good News about Jesus with a Planner, you can probably see a potential problem. The Doer is speaking in bullet points, but the Planner is wanting a lot more facts and figures.
This is where the Holy Spirit can help us. He has the insight that we don’t, and He can direct our words, just as He directed Christ’s words (see John 12:49-50).
Here’s how to talk their talk when you’re sharing the Good News:
- Keep it brief
- Share more facts than stories
- Stress now/today
- Rely on the Gospel of Mark (action oriented)
- Tell them the who, what, where, when, why, and how
- Be ready for lots of questions
- Give them time to process your information
- Rely on the Gospel of Matthew (lots of background, lots of Old Testament references to answer the who, what, where, when, why and how)
- Develop a friendship first
- Share more stories than facts
- Don’t tell them, show them your personal life
- Rely on the Gospel of Luke (lots of personal stories about changed lives)
- Share both the facts and the stories
- Encourage them to “Imagine what would happen …”
- Give them time to ask questions
- Rely on the Gospel of John (very poetic and image-rich)
You can connect with everyone, everybody, everywhere and share the Gospel with them in an effective way. Allow the Holy Spirit to give you the insight you need.
Check out how I describe this in more detail here…