I’m not sure that I can answer that one, because I’m not a “good” person. I’m a sinner. I’ve messed up more time than I can count, and it is only by God’s mercy that His righteous judgment hasn’t consumed me.
Here’s what I do know:
- God loves me so much that He sent His Son to rescue me—John 3:16-17
- I am of immeasurable value to my Heavenly Father—Luke 12:6-7
- Suffering on earth is temporal; rewards in Heaven are eternal—Romans 8:18
- God develops something in my through suffering that I could learn in no other way—Romans 5:3-4
- God can be glorified through my suffering if I will let Him—John 9:1-3; 11:3-6
I also know that Jesus is Perfection. If anyone ever deserved to not have anything bad happen to them, it was Him. And yet He was rejected by His family (Mark 3:21), betrayed by one of His companions (John 13:21), abandoned by all His followers (Mark 14:50), and even felt the sting of God forsaking Him (Mark 15:34).
What makes this even more startling to me is that He knew all of this was coming (Isaiah 53:3; Luke 9:22; Matthew 26:54-56). But He went through all of that pain because His suffering meant He could become the prefect Intercessor and Mediator for our suffering (see Hebrews 5:7-9; 4:14-16).
Jesus us told us, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
And the last book in the Bible promises that eventually God’s children will have every tear wiped away! There will be no more death, no more mourning, no more crying, and no more pain! (Revelation 21:4)
In the midst of your pain, hold tightly to the One Who loves you so much and is interceding for you!