Our culture has a sexualized agenda. Just look at how Hollywood portrays us today:
- Few happy marriages.
- Lots of sex-crazed, inept husbands with strong wives who use or withhold sex as a reward or punishment.
- Flawlessly beautiful actors (not a zit to be seen).
- No consequences for sex—no pregnancy, STDs or AIDS.
- No depression for broken relationships; no anxiety or eating disorders because of the psychological pain.
- Sex outside of marriage is normal, and those who abstain are the weird ones.
We cannot stand on our soapboxes and rail against culture.
We cannot just tell them what we’re against, but we’ve got to tell them what we’re for.
We’ve got to give them the compelling truth for the beauty, joy, and fulfillment of sex God’s way.
The Gospel—the Good News—is an invitation, not an ultimatum. We’ve got to share with others what’s good about God’s counter culture way concerning sex!
“I think our present outlook might be like that of a small boy who, on being told that the sexual act was the highest bodily pleasure should immediately ask whether you ate chocolates at the same time. On receiving the answer ‘No,’ he might regard absence of chocolates as the chief characteristic of sexuality. In vain would you tell him that the reason why lovers in their carnal raptures don’t bother about chocolates is that they have something better to think of. The boy knows chocolate: he does not know the positive thing that excludes it.” —C.S. Lewis
All Hollywood knows is the “chocolate” of people acting on their immediate feelings, with no understanding of long-term consequences.
Better sex comes from doing things God’s way = one man and one women married for life.
Proverbs 5 presents the advantages of being married and being intimate with just one person. I especially love this passage—
Drink water from your own well—share your love only with your wife. Why spill the water of your springs in the streets, having sex with just anyone? You should reserve it for yourselves. Never share it with strangers. Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. She is a loving deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts satisfy you always. May you always be captivated by her love. Why be captivated, my son, by an immoral woman, or fondle the breasts of a promiscuous woman? (verses 15-20)
This is better sex because it’s pure:
- No sharing sexually transmitted diseases from previous partners.
- No comparison to how you are in bed compared to previous partners.
- No psychological fall-out.
- Intimacy without reservation.
- A release of dopamine (the feel-good hormone) unlike you’ll ever get with “casual” sex.
- And most importantly: A relationship God can—and does!—bless.
Hollywood knows nothing about real love and a truly satisfying, fulfilling sex life. But God does! That’s why the Apostle Paul tells us, “Therefore honor God with your body” (1 Corinthians 6:20), because God created your body and knows how it can get the highest, purest pleasure.
Better sex comes when you have sex God’s way!