But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” (Genesis 3:9).
There are consequences for sin (because God is Just) and there is a remedy for sin (because God is Love).
Adam and Eve sinned.
They lost their innocence before God, they were expelled from the Garden of Eden, they would experience pain in childbirth, they would have to scratch to provide their food, they would experience relational turmoil, and most devastatingly of all, they faced the potential of being separated from God’s presence forever.
These are all just penalties for sin.
But don’t miss God’s love in this too—
- God came to them in the cool of the day, not in the instant of their sin
- He came walking in the Garden, not hurling lightning bolts of judgment
- He came with questions, not accusations
- He cursed the devil and the ground, but not Adam and Eve
- He provided for the final defeat of satan, not the final defeat of mankind
- He killed an animal to clothe their nakedness, not leaving them vulnerable
- He didn’t allow them to become immortal while still in their sin
There are painful consequences for sin—this is Justice.
But even in justice, never lose sight of the fact that GOD IS LOVE ❤️