… my hands … my mouth … my lips … my heart … my head … my words … my eyes … (Psalm 141)
David’s all-in attitude toward God reminds me of the words of Jesus: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength (Mark 12:30).
Clearly, David wants God to have full access—no part of his life is exempt from God’s lordship:
- hands lifted in worship
- mouth and lips free from ungodly words
- heart not drawn to unrighteousness
- head receptive to godly correction
- words always well-spoken and God-pleasing
- eyes fixed steadfastly on God
This is also what the Holy Spirit wants to do for me in the process of sanctification: Bringing me into the place where no part of my life is exempt from His lordship. This reminds me of the words of an old hymn, “All to Jesus I surrender, all to Him I freely give.”
May this ever be the theme song of my life!