I keep getting these annoying messages on Twitter that say something like, “I got over 500 new followers on Twitter, and you can too!!” Then I get these sorts of emails, “We can increase the traffic to your blog 300% per day!!”
What would make them think I want more? Maybe it’s because almost everything in our lives is about more.
- After high school, go to college to get more education.
- After college, climb the corporate ladder to get more money or more recognition.
- After you start working, take more vacations and enjoy more perks.
Lately, I’ve become focused on better. I think better is better than more.
More is about width, better is about depth. More is an exhausting pursuit, better is a satisfying pursuit. More is about quantity, better is about quality.
So here’s my challenge, trade more for better—
- Instead of looking for more friends, make your current friendships better.
- Instead of getting more followers on Twitter, make better followers.
- Instead of getting more education, get a better education.
- Instead of trying to read more books, read better books.
- Instead of spending more time with a lot of people, spend better time with a few people.
In what areas of your life can better be better than more?