[Each chapter in the Book of Proverbs contains thoughts that fit into a theme; they are not just random thoughts gathered together. In this “Saturday In The Proverbs” series, I will share a theme that I see in each chapter. But the cool thing about God’s Word is that you may see an entirely different theme. That’s great! If you do, I would love for you to share it in the comments below.]
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger (Proverbs 15:1).
Here’s how to defuse potentially volatile situations with other people—
- Speak gently (vv. 1, 28)
- Speak truthfully (v. 2)
- Remember that God is watching (vv. 3, 9, 11, 25, 26)
- Speak helpful words or stay silent (vv. 4, 7, 14, 23, 30)
- Receive correction from others (vv. 5, 12, 31, 32)
- Find ways to add value to other people (v. 6)
- Ask for God’s help (vv. 8, 29)
- Be gentle (v. 10)
- Develop emotional intelligence (vv. 13, 15, 21)
- Don’t envy others (vv. 16, 17, 27)
- Guard against getting angry (v. 18)
- Remember: good relationships take work (vv. 19, 24)
- Use all the wisdom you have… (v. 20)
- …get all the wisdom that others have too (v. 22)
- Stay humble (v. 33)
Relationships can be one of the greatest treasures in our life, or they can be one of the biggest disappointments in our life.
Put the ball in your court, and YOU work on making your relationships treasures!
July 15, 2018 at 7:21 am
This is great
LikeLiked by 1 person
July 15, 2018 at 7:29 am