In the first 39 chapters of Isaiah, there is a lot of doom-and-gloom prophesy about coming judgment. But as the fortieth chapter opens, there is a decidedly more upbeat outlook as prophesies about the Messiah and the coming of God’s Kingdom unfold before us.
Fittingly, there is a recurring phrase that wasn’t heard in the first 39 chapters of Isaiah—FEAR NOT.
- God says, “I am with you.”
- God says, “I will strengthen you.”
- God says, “I will uphold you.”
- God says, “Those who contended with you shall be as a nonexistent thing.”
- God says, “I will hold your hand.”
- God says, “I am in control.”
- God says, “I will make you into something irresistible.”
- God says, “Everyone will see the amazing things I will do for you.”
- God says, “Anything apart from Me is worthless.”
- God says, “I have redeemed you.”
- God says, “You are Mine.”
- God says, “I know you by name.”
- God says, “I will go through floods and flames with you and you will not be drowned or burned.”
- God says, “Nothing ever takes Me by surprise.”
- God says, “I alone am God and everyone else is a mere man.”
Bottom line: God’s Word gives us ample reasons to root out fear from our heart.
Read these promises for yourself in Isaiah 41:10, 13, 14; 43:1-2; 44:8; 51:12.