Every year, Jews from around the world made four pilgrimages to Jerusalem for various feasts and sacrifices. These journeys reminded them of God’s goodness as they went to the Temple to worship, and they helped refocus on God’s ways as they returned to their regular routines.
Jerusalem is over 2500 feet above sea level, so the pilgrimage there was a physical workout as well as a spiritual workout. So these times climbing up into God’s presence were beneficial for God’s people, preparing them to minister in their cities in the following months.
The Book of Psalms contains 15 songs that these pilgrims would sing to and with each other as they traveled up to Jerusalem. These Psalms of Ascent are still instructive for Christians today.
Please join me this Sunday as we begin a look at the life-changing truths these pilgrimage songs can still teach today to all of God’s people.
Here are the psalms we looked at:
- Overcoming Anxiety (Psalm 120)
- 12 Blessings While Going Through A Valley (Psalm 121)
- 5 Blessing You Should Expect From Your Church Experience (Psalm 122)
- How Christians Can Overcome Ridicule (Psalm 123)
- How To Escape Your Fears (Psalm 124)
- 4 Blessings From Trusting God + 1 Curse For Not (Psalm 125)
- 7 Tips For A Better Night’s Sleep (Psalm 127)