Listen to the podcast of this post by clicking on the player below, and you can also subscribe on Apple, Spotify, or Audible.
“…He reached out His hand and touched the man…” (Mark 1:41).
Jesus touched a leper.
We have to be careful not to rush past this or make too light of this action. Those with leprosy were completely shut out of their old way of life—removed from their homes, from their places of work, and ostracized from their family and friends. Wherever they went, they lived with the shame of having to publicly cry out in a loud voice, “Unclean! Unclean!” so that everyone had a chance to scatter and not become contaminated by getting too close to them.
But this leper asked Jesus for healing. Jesus touched the untouchable man and healing immediately appeared! Leprosy was gone, and the man was restored to his former life, to his family, to his friends!
Look at the power of the touch of Jesus:
- He touches the hand of a woman, and her fever immediately leaves (Matthew 8:15; Mark 1:31)
- A woman with an incurable bleeding disorder touches Jesus, and immediately receives relief (Matthew 9:20–22; Mark 5:25–34; Luke 8:43–48)
- Blind eyes are opened (Matthew 9:29–30, 20:34; Mark 8:22–25)
- All manner of diseases are instantly cured (Matthew 14:35–36; Mark 3:10; 6:55–56; Luke 6:17–19)
- Fear is banished (Matthew 17:7)
- A mute tongue is loosed (Mark 7:33–35)
- Children are blessed (Mark 10:13; Luke 18:15)
- A dead man is raised back to life (Luke 7:13–15)
- A severed ear is reattached and restored (Luke 22:50–51)
(Check out all of these verses by clicking here.)
There is a power in touching someone that goes beyond words or any other actions. When we’ve first touched Jesus ourselves, our loving touch to someone in need is an anointed touch.
I am reminded of the words of the old song—
My touch alone has very little lasting value. But when I’ve touched Jesus first, my touch carries His power and His love to the one whom I touch. Let us keep touching Jesus so that we can keep touching the untouchables around us and bringing to them the healing and deliverance and blessing that only Jesus can give.
►► Would you please prayerfully consider supporting this ministry? My Patreon supporters get behind-the-scenes access to exclusive materials. ◀︎◀︎
Tell me what you think about this...