I love technology. But along with all of the technology comes a whole lot of noise. Not necessarily the noise that your ears pick up, but the noise in your mind.
- We’ve got Facebook for the latest social updates
- Twitter and blogs for the latest news and commentary
- Flickr, Twitpic, and Intragram for the latest pictures
- LinkedIn for the latest business interactions
- Smart phones for instant messaging
And if we miss out on any of those things, we feel left behind.
Here’s the ironic thing about all of this social media. Trying to keep up with everything and everyone raises the level of cortisol (a stress hormone) in our bodies. And cortisol actually increases anti-social behavior.
Look what multi-tasking does to our brains…
In the midst of trying to tune in and keep up with all of these other voices, we often miss out on the most important Voice.
Jesus says: Listen! I am standing and knocking at your door. If [not when] you hear My voice and open the door, I will come in and we will eat together. (I added the bracketed commentary.)
Today I’m trying to quiet all of the other voices and just listen to The Voice. So today is a media/technology fast.
- No blogging (I wrote this post yesterday)
- No Twitter or Facebook
- No texting
- No iPod or TV or computer time
I’m taking time to make sure I’m tuning into the most important Voice. I challenge you to try it too. Listen to see what Jesus has to say to you.