In just seven verses, Jesus tells us how to experience God’s blessing or be prepared to say, “Woe is me!” What a contrast! Check out Luke 6:20-26.
The four blessed promises are in verses 20-22, and the four woe warnings are in verses 24-26. Connecting them (v. 23) is Jesus essentially saying, “You can have blessing, or you can have woe. Your choice.”
There is a secure reward and eternal blessing for those who—
- are Earth-poor and Heaven-rich
- are dissatisfied with anything but the things of God
- weep over the present sinful state of humanity
- are persecuted, excluded, insulted or rejected by the world because they identify with Christ
But woe to those who—
- want riches and comfort now
- are satisfied with what the world can give
- laugh at the smutty things of Earth
- desire worldly popularity above hearing God say, “Well done, good and faithful servant”
Choices must be made every day. These choices lead to either blessing or woe.
Choose the blessings!