Here’s what God says about you and me: “I long to redeem them” (Hosea 7:13). The prophet Hosea has a front row seat, watching God pursue and woo His people, and Hosea records for us God’s longing passion.
The placement of God’s declaration—I long to redeem them—is a wonder to me. It’s right in the middle of a catalogue of His people’s sins. God says:
- Your kings fall because they don’t call on Me (Hosea 7:7).
- You don’t realize how weak and powerless you’ve become because you won’t pray to Me (7:9-10).
- You try to rule yourselves without consulting Me (8:4).
- You disregard My laws as if they were irrelevant (8:12).
- You no longer pay attention to My prophets who are calling you back to Me (9:7).
And still in the midst of all this comes, “I long to redeem them.” Astounding!
God tells us what we need to do—
Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until He comes and showers righteousness on you. (10:12)
BUT you have planted wickedness, you have reaped evil, you have eaten the fruit of deception. Because you have depended on your own strength and on your many warriors…you will be completely destroyed. (10:13-15)
What will you choose: To seek God OR to depend on your own strength?
God LONGS to redeem you, but you have to ask Him to do so.