Here’s a great question I recently heard: “What if God doesn’t want to give us answers, because He wants to give us His presence?”
Perhaps if God showed me my whole path, I might just take off down the path as fast as I could. Maybe I’d even say something like, “Thanks, God, I’ll take it from here!”
But God wants me close to Him. He wants me to hear His voice at every single step saying, “This is the way, walk in it.”
The model prayer that Jesus taught us is all about that closeness and total reliance on God’s close presence:
- Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name [close enough to worship Him intimately],
- Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven [close enough to know His heart].
- Give us today our daily bread [close enough to rely on Him for all of my daily needs].
- And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors [close enough to know His forgiving love for me and for others].
- Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one [close enough to His strength to say “no” to temptations that would entice me off of His path].
- For Yours is the kingdom, and the glory, and the power forever [close enough to bask perpetually in His glory and His power].
God wants us THAT close to Him—to rely on Him, to lean into Him, to be empowered by Him, to be protected in Him.
A good question for all of us to ponder: How close to God am I?