“…they watched Him closely… (Luke 14:1).
They wanted to find an inconsistency with which they could discount all that Jesus stood for. Thankfully, they found none! May the same be said of you and me.
May our lives and speech (or silence) never cause skeptics to discount the Gospel or—even worse—blaspheme God, nor may our lives cause a weak Christian to doubt or stumble.
This requires from us—
- Self-awareness … I have to know my tendencies and avoid those things that cause offense.
- Boldness … to speak the truth in love.
- Knowledge of the Scripture … and its correct application.
- God-confidence … so that we’re not intimidated by man’s disapproval.
- Humility … to not seek things for our own benefit.
- Charity … as we demonstrate our faith in loving action.
- Focus … on eternity and on the greater treasure in Heaven.
Holy Spirit, empower us to live like our Master every day. “Adam’s likeness now efface, stamp Thine image in its place.” May people see and hear Jesus in us. No matter how closely they watch us, may they see no inconsistencies.