I make no attempt to hide my admiration for Dr. Tim Elmore. I read his blog throughout the week, I subscribe to his newsletter, and I find his books right on target. As a parent, I always want to raise my game, and Nurturing The Leader Within Your Child is the perfect resource for me.
Tim’s desire in this book is two-fold: (1) Help parents see the enormous potential in their children, and (2) Help parents see how crucial their role is in releasing that leadership potential. One of his premises is this —
“Children want parents who:
- communicate their interest in me;
- express appreciation for each member of our family;
- structure their lives to spend time together;
- welcome my friends into our home;
- answer my questions;
- are committed to each other;
- deal with crisis in a positive way;
- are honest;
- correct kids when needed, but not in front of friends;
- don’t argue in front of me;
- concentrate on strengths instead of weaknesses; and
- are consistent.”
The concepts Dr. Elmore presents are clear, concise, and simple to implement. But they are not microwaveable concepts; that is to say, you shouldn’t expect an overnight success story. But if you want to see your children discover and tap into the leadership potential resident inside them, you — Mom and Dad — will have to nurture it. If you are ready, this book can help!